Ray's cousin got married in the end of July, which seems so long ago now. It was crazy hot, so I tried to come up with lightweight clothes for the kids.
For E, I made the Rosy Posy dress from Ottobre 3/11 (size 98 width, 104 length). It's more of a classic little girl look than I usually go for, but I fell in love with the little puffed sleeves.
Imagine my surprise when I sewed them up and they were longer and not the least bit puffed. Turns out I had accidentally traced the sleeve from the Sunny Sailor dress in the same issue. Ooops! I had just barely enough fabric left to trace the correct sleeve piece, although one had to be slightly off grain.
|One of my friends made E a dress from this same print for her first birthday!|
Once that debacle was taken care of, the rest of the dress was easy. I was very proud of my pattern matching in the back.
|Just don't look too closely at how the left side is slightly shorter than the right.|
This was my first attempt at thread belt loops. I used this technique and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. It just looked too easy, but it really was.
I also made the Pantalets from Ottobre 2/03 for under E's dress. I sewed her a pair two summers ago, too, and she wore them a lot. I love how lightweight they are when made from muslin. I managed to screw up tracing this pattern too, and originally made the longer version. I didn't realize my mistake until I had already sewn the trim on. I didn't have any extra -- or time to get more, since I was working at the last minute, as usual -- so I picked out the stitches, cut them shorter, re-hemmed, and re-sewed the trim. Worth the effort, I think.
This is why the girl needs something under dresses. I'm fairly certain she enjoys showing off her contortionist abilities.
Coming up tomorrow: O's wedding outfit.