I was hoping to come up with another family theme for Halloween this year, but we couldn't agree on anything. It's probably for the best, since I just finished E's wig yesterday! I don't know how I would have managed another two costumes also.
O prefers non-costumey costumes these days, so he decided a few weeks ago that he would like to be a "genius inventor" or a scientist with a lab coat and tie. I used the pajama top from Butterick 5586 and extended the length by about 9", added two more patch pockets, lowered the top button and spread out the other two a bit more. There was an insane amount of sleeve cap ease -- so much that I initially wondered if I'd accidentally cut the puffed sleeve from the nightgown -- which I took out by eyeballing. There was a lot of reminding myself that it was just a costume! Other than that, it went together easily and fits well.
He also asked for another faux tie, which he chose to be from a skeleton print.
|He's wearing my shoes, which are about three sizes too big. Sometimes it's better not to ask.|
We decided on Raggedy Ann for E, and just realized tonight that this is the first Halloween she hasn't been an animal! She was a ladybug, a monkey, a bee, and then an owl. There were a several pieces to Raggedy Ann, but most of them were quick to sew up.
I started with the Miss Madeline peasant dress with long sleeves with shirring at the wrists, no elastic at the waist, and an added neck ruffle like in this tutorial.
Her apron is a larger version of the one in this tutorial. I used the same dimensions for the arm straps and waist ties, but made the waist band 3x21" and the body of the apron 17" x 43" (the width of the fabric). The only other modification I made was to attach the straps behind the apron, rather than sandwiching them between the waist band and the main fabric. I also added some jumbo rickrack when I realized that my original overly ambitious plan to embroider "Raggedy Ann" onto it was soooo not going to happen.
For our first Halloween event last week, she wore the pantalets from this summer, but they didn't really show below the dress, so I made another full-length pair. (I'm planning on having her wear them for Christmas also, or I wouldn't have bothered -- I don't think... I do get kind of obsessive about costumes. Ha.) I was out of elastic thread, so made a casing on the inside with single-fold bias tape and ran elastic through it. Finished with a rolled hem for the sake of speed, but then the thread kept breaking, making me wish I'd just done a quick regular hem!
The last piece, the yarn wig, took by far the longest, but was so worth the extra time. It cracks me up every time I look at it. She seemed to enjoy wearing it too. I'm quite sure she knows when she's being funny.
I used the Scarecrow Wig pattern, but my first attempt at the hat turned out too big. Casting on 78 stitches for the second try worked out much better.