|Press the button to turn hear the speech!|
The jacket was by far the most structured thing I've ever attempted, and I was quite happy with how relatively easily it went together. Other than the part where I sewed the back on wrong side out and had to rip out three seams by the time I realized it... It's been a while since I've made such a rookie mistake. I think I'd gotten too cocky!
|Don't the Chucks make the outfit?|
I really liked how the kick pleat was constructed, although I don't have a very good shot of it. O. wouldn't try the whole thing on at home, just pieces as I finished them, so this is the best I could get. School hallway lighting is also less than ideal.
The pants were a simple elastic waist style, and you were instructed to smooth out the front and sew through the elastic to create a faux flat front. It worked well. The shirt & vest are a dickey. O. chose velvet ribbon for the tie, because it was the "blackest."
The only change I made throughout the process was to use Peltex for the brim of the hat, rather than the fusible interfacing and fusible web combo that was suggested. I wasn't sure that would stiffen the felt enough. Peltex worked well, but is so thick that some white showed. A Sharpie fixed that pretty quickly.
O's favorite part by far was the beard, which was the part that took about two minutes, of course. It's just a piece of felt with elastic cording that went over his ears.
All that sewing for a six-year-old to wear for an hour! I no longer have any residual guilt about buying his Halloween costume. You can be sure I'll be spending the next four months slipping in subliminal messages about how awesome it would be to be Abraham Lincoln for Halloween. I also suggested to him that he could use it to be Willy Wonka, but he pointed out that then it should be purple. And then came up with the brilliant plan that I make the husband a purple Wonka costume. Not likely.