I used the Hot Scott Cargo Shorts pattern. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about it. She notes that the sizes run big, which I found unusual for an independent pattern company. I measured O and found that he was just slightly bigger than the 5T (he wears a 7 or 7X in RTW), but there was a huge jump in sizing for the 6, so I made the 5T with a 3/8" seam allowance instead of 5/8". This proved to be unnecessary. The shorts are big. Very, very big. Hopefully he'll still be a fan of Star Wars for several more years. I also thought the directions could have been more clearly written and that using plaid fabric for the black & white instructional photos was a poor choice.
That being said, O liked the shorts. I used leftover fabric from his swim bag for the hip pockets. It amuses me to have Vader peeking out of the one.
I intended to sew down the lightsabers on the cargo pockets, but when I realized how tiny I'd made them and just how late at night it had gotten to be by that point, I decided to take my chances with Steam-A-Seam 2's claim of a permanent bond.
The lightsabers were a huge hit, and most importantly, were painless when you got whacked with one! They also made a cool -- loud! -- noise if two of them were banged together.